An Essential Guide for Facebook Cover Photos
Facebook cover photos are the great medium of communication that can instantly take place, even without the audience knowing about it. The wide horizontal picture placed on top of every page or profile is called the cover photo. Ever since Facebook has introduced cover photos in 2011, it has opened doors of new opportunities for business. Apart from business; companies, celebrities, community, awareness, etc. everyone can now transmit their values or motto on their Facebook page more conveniently than ever before. Even though pages and individual profiles serve different purposes, they both share the same cover photo resolution.
The Facebook cover photo has definite dimension. A user can upload a photo of any size which will be resized to 851x315 pixels by Facebook. If the uploaded photo is smaller than the required dimension, Facebook will scale it up resulting in the photo becoming pixelated. For best results uploading an sRGB photo with resolution 851x315 pixels and size below 100 KB is preferred. PNG format could come handy for uploading higher resolution photos in smaller file size. For more you can read our guide on Facebook cover photo dimensions.
Facebook Cover Photos Matter!
Candid photos placed on your Facebook profile rarely matters and it is fun. But for a business page, something catchy attracts more viewers, especially if the Facebook user is just hovering over a page’s name and the timeline cover photo shows up in a thumbnail. Business pages must abide by the rules set by Facebook because any violation of rules could result in deletion of business pages without any warning!
The human mind is more responsive to photos than text. A photo can easily speak thousands or even million words that words would fail to say. Hubspot says a photo can transmit information to the brain 60 thousand times faster than texts. Take this golden opportunity to develop an excellent first impression. Make sure your Facebook timeline cover photo makes a worthy impression.
Rules on Facebook Covers
You can’t just put up any photo for your business page. Facebook has a set of rules for the cover photos which you must comply with, or you can lose your page, fans, contents everything just within moments. Visit here for a clear conception of the cover photos policies.
Even though the restrictions still prevail, a lot has been taken off for easy operation of business pages on Facebook. They lifted off restrictions now let the users put call to action in the Facebook covers. For example, ‘tell your friends!’ something like this. There can be contact information and discount offers as well. Business pages can now ask the audience to like or share their page on the cover page. However, the cover pages can’t be false, misleading or offensive.
20% Text Rule and the Grid Based Tool
The Facebook cover photo must not contain more than 20% of texts in a cover photo. Facebook has developed a grid based tool that makes it easier to know if the rule has been complied. However, there are plenty of third party tools available on the internet that checks the Facebook covers for free. For more information we recommend you to visit Socialbakers for a definitive guide on 20% text rule.
Do's and Don’ts of Facebook Cover Image
There are certain do's and Don’ts while uploading a profile cover image. Make sure you don’t miss any of them!
- Follow the guidelines: Facebook could be very mean if you don’t follow their policy. Losing a business page could be just like losing the whole advertising section of a business you conduct. To keep your page, fans and contents the best idea is to follow the Facebook guidelines.
- Maintain proper resolution: Nothing would be more pathetic than a Facebook timeline cover image resolution mismatch after spending hours on designing it. Before you begin, make sure you are doing it right. Maintain the 851x315 pixels resolution and use PNG format if necessary.
- Don’t let the profile picture hide your content: The profile picture on Facebook hides a considerable amount of the Facebook cover photo. Keep that space empty while designing your cover page. You might want to hide an Easter egg behind the profile picture, though.
- Maintain alignment and content balance: The cover picture is blocked by a considerable amount on the left portion. A right side aligned focus is more effective for a cover photo than a left side aligned focus. If you design a profile cover image that centers the focus on the left side; then both the profile picture and the attraction of the cover goes left increasing the chances to completely miss out minor yet important contents placed on the right. Also keep in mind how the cover looks for Facebook mobile app users. The huge amount of the cover from both left and right sides is blocked out on the mobile app screen.
- Combo: Both the pictures on your Facebook page could complement each other. Something might start off on the profile page and continue the trail to the cover photo or vice versa. Or, use a cover photo and a profile picture that makes up a whole photo when combined together. Or a cover photo and app combo. Put an arrow on the cover photo that indicates an app right below the cover photo. All these combinations are very effective for marketing purposes.
- Clickable Links & Hashtags in the Description: You can use the description of the cover photo to create leads for your website. Put a clickable link on the Facebook cover photo description since you can’t put a hyperlink there. Moreover, you may also add hash tags. If you use hash tags they must be relevant to the pages. Irrelevant and improperly put hash tags are very irritating!
Stunning Facebook timeline covers can greatly relax the advertisement expenditure, staying on top is just a matter of time. Facebook connects individuals from all over the world and you got the platinum opportunity to show off what you have at a single glance through the cover picture. Make a cover photo that exhibits your business ethics and your customers will respond if it matches theirs. Update your Facebook covers often yet keep the same creative quality every time. You will never have to regret!